There is a photograph on my desk—your face,
forever smiling, forever gentle. I write beside it every day, pretending I am
moving forward, that the world keeps spinning and so do I. But the truth is,
every time I glance at that photo, I shatter. Grief is not loud; it is a
silent, invisible ache that fills every space you used to occupy.
People say I am strong. I nod and smile,
because that is what you do for the people who love you, for my son who still
needs to believe that his mother is invincible. I prepare meals and take him to
school or soccer practice. We talk about his day, his dreams, his worries, and I
hold him close. But when the lights are out, and the house is quiet, I let the
tears come. I cry for you. I cry for us. I cry because nothing is the same and
never will be again.
Every day, I pretend I am okay. I write words
that hold the world at bay, sentences that build a wall between me and my
grief. But in truth, I am not okay. I am not strong. Grief is a current that
drags me under, again and again. I see you in our son’s smile, in his laughter,
in the way he says “Mommy, are you happy?” and I swallow the truth because I
want him to be happy, to be unburdened by the weight I carry.
But even in the darkness, there is light.
There is the memory of your hand in mine, of the love we shared, of the family
we built. I see you in every act of kindness, in every moment of courage it
takes to get up and try again. I write for you, for our son, for myself. I
write so that our story does not end with loss, but with love that endures
beyond absence.
I am broken, yes. But in the cracks, there is
still beauty. There is still hope. I carry you with me, always.
No comments:
Post a Comment