Saturday, February 21, 2015

Books are my love, my passion, my life...


I’m a writer and an avid reader.

I love mystery, suspense, action, romance, adventure, paranormal, chick lit, thrillers, and lots of other genres. Every chance I have, I devour one book after the other, always thinking that there isn’t enough time to read all the ones I would like to. And when I devote time to reading a book, I also make the time to write a review. Because first of all, I know how important reviews are for writers and secondly, I want to share my thoughts and feelings about what I have just read.


However, I don’t write reviews of all the books I read or start reading and put them down after a few pages. I post reviews of the ones I loved (5 stars), or liked (4 stars), or even sometimes if I thought they were just okay (3 stars). I don’t post negative 1 and 2 stars reviews. First of all, because I know all the hard work a writer puts into a book from the first paragraph all the way to having it published, and I respect that; and secondly, because we don’t all have the same taste. Things that I love other people might hate and vice versa. We don’t all like the same people, houses, cars, clothes, hobbies, or books. And the beauty of this world is that there is always someone or something out there that fits exactly what we want.


So if I pick up something to read and don’t like it, I just put it aside. I don’t talk about it, and I don’t post a review. But if I like it, I’ll post a review and talk about the things I enjoyed about it. 


Having said that, I should say that I respect the way other people feel about reviews. Some people believe that if they read a book that they didn’t like, they should post a negative review to prevent others from wasting their time on this particular book. I respect that, but that’s not the way I am. And I always do what feels right for me.


Of course, I’m not talking about professional reviewers—experts in their field who read hundreds of books and their opinion is requested. That’s different. They are asked to provide their critical appraisal, and they do—whether it’s positive or negative. That’s a risk a writer has to take, every time he or she asks for a review by a professional reviewer. And, in this case, even negative reviews are useful and constructive because a writer gets feedback on his work that would be very helpful in the next book he or she writes.


No comments:

Post a Comment